Friday, November 11, 2005


CONTROLLING YOUR THOUGHTS
Bernie Miller - All Things Are Possible - New Coventent Church

How well do you control your thoughts, desires and passions when adversity strikes? In a recent Wednesday's Bible study, we saw how a man named Job handled it. Satan was allowed by God to attack Job's possessions and family. In one day, Job lost everything. Why did the devil do it? What was the anticipated outcome?

Job1:8-11 "8. Then the LORD said to Satan, "Have you considered my servant Job? There is no one on earth like him; he is blameless and upright, a man who fears God and shuns evil." 9. "Does Job fear God for nothing?" Satan replied. 10. "Have you not put a hedge around him and his household and everything he has? You have blessed the work of his hands, so that his flocks and herds are spread throughout the land. 11. But stretch out your hand and strike everything he has, and he will surely curse you to your face. "

Satan was sure that Job would curse God if he lost all that he had. However, what did Job do when he lost servants, possessions and his children?

Job1:20-22 says, “20. At this, Job got up and tore his robe and shaved his head. Then he fell to the ground in worship 21. and said: "Naked I came from my mother's womb, and naked I will depart. The LORD gave and the LORD has taken away; may the name of the LORD be praised." 22. In all this, Job did not sin by charging God with wrongdoing.”

Would God say the same of you that He said of Job, whom He called "a blameless and upright man, fearing God and turning away from evil?

How do you respond to unexpected tragedy and adversity? Job worshiped God before adversity and afterward. The verse reads,” Through all this Job did not sin nor did he blame God." When adversity strikes, our minds are sometimes flooded with negative thoughts against ourselves and others. How can we combat these thoughts? By doing what Paul commanded in 2 Cor. 10:5, "Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalts itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ."


scw’s comments: (rueful chuckle) I could’ve used 2 Cor. 10:5 yesterday. ;D If I don’t make my thoughts obedient to Christ my first reaction in adversity is to push back, my first reaction in trials is to ask why, complain and grumble, and make sure God knows it’s not fair. Job’s reaction when he lost everything still amazes me. He didn’t even ask why, he instantly worshiped God. And that’s what God has been strongly teaching me lately. Through the good and the bad, worship Him because He is more than worthy. Just like I want my 1st reaction in faith to be like Peter’s, “Since You said it I’ll do it”, I want my first reaction in trials and adversity to be like Job’s, “The name of the LORD be praised.” Lord I just pray for a continuous filling of Your Holy Spirit. Transform me into the person I desire, and more importantly You desire me to be. May Your praise always be on my lips, may my life always be an act of worship for You, may my wants be what You want, and may my heart always be soft and willing to say “Yes Lord”. In Jesus Name - Amen

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amen...how I wish it was as easy as that...I guess that's where the child like faith we talked about earlier comes in, we try to make this far to complicated.

12:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yep ;D

2:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home