Friday, August 12, 2005

What They Say. . .
(A Poem by Hoody)
They say I’m insane
That I blasphemyAnd teach false
That if I give himMoney
It’ll go up his arm
Or he’ll go into a bottle
Not to hang out with her
She’s a whore
Don’t hang with him
He’s a sinnerA liarA cheater
He can’t walk
But I say he can
Across the river
Let him see
Don’t do that
I’m told
For it’s a dayOf rest
But wouldn’t you
Help your child
Even if awoken?
Make bread
Feed the hungry
Don’t do that
God’s punishing them
They sinned
Don’t teach about Love
It’s a Law
But it’s a hope
A Joy
Don’t Baptize
Only John canI’m told,
But that’s wrong
For the Spirit indwells
In us
Don’t stop the stones
She’s an adulterer
Doesn’t matter
Don’t listen to me
I’m told I know nothing
Not to go there
That’s the wrong side of town
Not our people
But thenI’m onlyUpwardly Mobile Lower Class
I’m from a melded family
My step-father’s a carpenter,
We’re from that provinceY’know the one no one wants to go to.
Ever been treated like this?
Mocked?
Spit on?
Laughed at?
Beaten Up?
It’s okay,
They treated me like that to. .
.An my Daddy’s;
God.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love Hoody's poetry and this is fine example of it. (grin)

3:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why Thank you.

10:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home