Friday, August 12, 2005

Yes it is something some folks have been wondering. I am preparing to take my noviate vows once the finer points are shaken out.But what does it mean to be a secular monk. Secular means in the world. Serving, loving and living.The story of Jesus from the Gospels is one of a man who lived his life radically against the hierarchy to free the oppressed, feed the hungry, heal the sick, visit the prisoner, etc...all the forgotten ones of the world.St. Francis of Assisi was inspired to live his life like this and founded three orders:Friars Minor (traditional monks)Ordinary Claires (traditional nuns)Third Order (The Tertiaries, more commonly known as the Secular Franciscans).As one blessing from my order phrased it, Blessed with the foolishness to believe you CAN make a difference...

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, I'm dating a monk. (lol) My mom flipped when she found out and I had to explain everything hoody posted here. (chuckle)

11:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lol....ah yes....i can just imagine that conversation after some of my steller phraseologies.

3:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home