Saturday, January 28, 2006

My personal rule talks of me being a voice for the voiceless. It is a simple line to attempt to describe a life long call God has placed on my heart throughout my journeys. From a high school student standing up against hatred in my community, to a writer who battled governments to protect the arts, to a simple letter writer for Amnesty International to a street pastor petitioning the provincial government of Alberta not to close a desperately needed homeless shelter that was seeing God’s miracles pour out.
It was these actions that led to this line being written in my rule, and becoming more active within my country of birth speaking out to protect the social programs church leaders helped to build (social services, disability, public health care). It culminated on January 23, 2006 when Canada held a Federal Election; after eight weeks of an official campaign that I participated in as a candidate.
My nomination was secured with Canada’s New Democratic Party on May 5, 2005 and my campaign began minutes after. Some would say why would I take this step as a youth pastor, and a member of the Third Order, Society of St. Francis, there was other ways. For me it was a unique way to reach out to the community I live in and get down past the surface issues and to raise awareness across a city about the amazing agencies, organizations and people that are trying to stop the bleeding of the pain of poverty and devastation we are wrecking on our ecology.
As a candidate door knocking I found what was needed was a listening ear, and someone willing to help direct people to the parts of government they could talk to, in some cases someone to act as advocate to those government or non-profit agencies on behalf of the person. The most shocking thing that I found after listening to individuals that said having a strong faith would hamper you in public life is how many people were comforted when I said I would pray for them. After speaking those words as well, how many people asked for me to simply pray with them there on their doorstep, or after a debate, or at a bus stop.
Campaigning for a political party, as one with strong beliefs and principles is hard, because it is not simply yourself being put forward, you have to support a platform. I look at the core values of the institution and decide if they fit within the context of my rule of ministry, for I have found at least in the Canadian Parliamentary system specific policy points become harder to impose even if your party achieves power because you are always succeeding a previous government, and there is where the economy is dealing with. I found it easier to be able to step away from the platform and open up a dialogue with the people of my community, as I took a pastoral outlook and realized winning was irrelevant, this unique calling for this season (eight months) had given me the opportunity to reach out to those that were hurting and in pain, those that may never darken the doorways of a church or know where to go for help.
There was also the winter election conundrum as traditionally during an election the candidate does massive fundraising for their campaign to be able to purchase signs (which are once used and then disposed of to landfills never to decompose) and brochures and goes around in thousand dollar suits making promises they cannot keep.
My message was simple: I will listen and try to make things better, for I have hope that a better world is possible for us all. My attire was simpler, blue jeans and a hoody, as a youth pastor, not a politician; I did not feel comfortable in the trappings of the office. Finally when it came to fundraising I looked out at the hurting and those in need, saw and toured many organizations that helped children with developmental disabilities, abused seniors, and the homeless that I knew I could not be as selfish as to ask for money for a campaign-rather I took the initiative of disseminating the information for people to direct the donations they would have sent to me to these amazing non-profits that were producing miracles for God’s children.
When it was all over, and the votes were tallied I was third of five on the ballot and just felt a peace. Why you ask? Since some would say I failed my calling by losing. I felt a peace because I was proud of the hard work of my volunteers, I was amazed at how even with donor burnout we managed to get agencies monies they otherwise would not have received this season and that I had always spoken from my heart and held to my beliefs…the best and most humbling part was the Wednesday night after election day being able to face the youth I minister to and let them know that yes when I say one person called by God can make a positive impact no matter where they are called-it is true.
Why did I run? To give a voice to the voiceless and inspire a new generation to take up the reigns of care for creation and community leadership, winning or losing was irrelevant in this special calling from God.

-Hoody in AB

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home